Events

Beaverhill Bird Observatory

http://www.beaverhillbirds.com/

Science Outreach Athabasca:


http://scienceoutreach.ab.ca/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Science-Outreach-Athabasca/202879083059142                                                                                         

Upcoming Science Outreach Events

  • November 15, 2017 – The Ape in You: What it means to be Two percent human  with Dr. Hugh Notman, Associate Dean, Learning Technologies, and Associate Professor, Biological Anthropology in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Science at 7 PM in Athabasca University Governing Council Chambers.
    Have you ever wondered why watching monkeys and apes at the zoo can feel like looking into a mirror?  Are we really just naked, two-legged apes?  Perhaps – especially given the oft-cited statistic that we share 98% of our genes with the chimpanzees.  But does that mean all of our unique “human-ness” can be captured in the other 2%?  In this discussion, we will explore some of the facts and misconceptions concerning our place in the primate family tree; where our shared traits with the nonhuman primates might come from, and what the “two-percent” differences might really mean. Free event! Door prizes!
  • January 11, 2018 – How the clean energy revolution is changing your future with David Dodge from Green Energy Futures at 7 PM in Athabasca University Governing Council Chambers.  Take a peak into our energy future with David Dodge, producer of 175 Green Energy Futures documentaries on the clean energy revolution and chair of Energy Efficiency Alberta. The pace of innovation in the clean energy sector, the building industry and with electric vehicles will dramatically affect the way we live, how we get around and how we work in the future. These changes are occurring globally faster than anyone expected. David will share what he’s learned from researching inspiring technologies, projects and entrepreneurs across Canada.   Free event! Door prizes!
  • February 22, 2018 – Ancient Landscapes and Prehistoric Human Activity in Alberta’s Oil Sands with Brian Ronaghan, former director of Alberta’s Archaeological Survey, and Robin Woywitka, Archaeological Survey regional archaeologist and University of Alberta PhD candidate, will present the key elements of this remarkable story of ancient landscapes and human use—a story that may never have been uncovered were it not for oil sands development and provincial conservation requirements at 7 PM in Athabasca University Governing Council Chambers.
Advertisements